Strategic Estates Partnerships
What is a SEP?
Strategic Estates Partnerships (SEPs) are joint ventures between NHS Trusts and private sector organisations, offering the NHS a new way to unlock the potential of its estate.
By combining the expertise and resources of the public and private sector, these long term partnerships enable Trusts to accelerate the process of aligning their estates and facilities with strategic aims, while improving the patient experience, optimising efficiency and seizing commercial opportunities.
Prime’s understanding of health economies, service modelling, operational requirements and public sector accounting means it brings a complete range of skills and solutions to a partnership – from property and commercial knowhow to access to flexible and affordable private finance.
The benefits of a SEP
With NHS Trusts facing greater pressures from increased demand and reduced access to capital funding, SEPs are a means of financing and developing new facilities to increase the pace of transformation.
As well as generating savings and efficiencies, they also offer Trusts the opportunity to find new ways to earn income from their estate, which can then be reinvested into frontline services.
Whatever the driver behind a SEP partnership, they offer a number of key benefits:
- Supports a Trust’s existing estates team, adding capacity and commercial skills
- Providing access to private finance without losing flexibility or control
- Offers flexible procurement and contracting options to suit each and every project
- Utilises private sector expertise to facilitate infrastructure improvements, enabling Trusts to focus capital investment on patient care
- The ability to deliver change at pace
- An opportunity to create new revenue streams
- Creating and delivering an estates masterplan as part of wider strategic transformation
- Drives efficiency and creates savings through improved utilisation and facilities management
- Offers fully considered solutions to reduce risk and cost
- Integrates local health and social care for patient benefit
- Appropriate risk and reward sharing
With a focus on healthcare and a shared partnership ethos, Prime is working in a joint venture with international support services and construction group Interserve to create long term estates partnerships with NHS Trusts. To find out more about Interserve Prime and what its partnerships are delivering for the NHS, please visit the Interserve Prime website.