An estates strategy enables organisations to plan ahead and make best use of their assets – to facilitate service improvements, deliver commercial stability and drive efficiencies.
The benefit for clients is a complete picture, so boards have information for informed investment and disinvestment decision-making and to maximise utilisation of their highest quality facilities. Prime’s difference is to place strategic aims at the heart of our work; making property an enabler not the decider of how and where services run.
Prime’s understanding of health economies, service modelling, operational requirements, public sector accounting, land and property disposals and efficient management of estate inform its approach to strategic property planning.
The team’s experience spans more than 20 years of working with commissioners, providers and estate owners and managers, including NHS England, Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCGs), Foundation Trusts (FTs) and aspirant FTs.
- Understand the full potential of estate to support integrated working
- Align with a commissioning vision
- Identify capacity for additional services
- Focus investment to improve patient experience
- Ensure facilities can continue to meet quality standards
- Prioritisation of premises investment and disinvestment for a managed system of approvals
- Improve operational efficiency and competitiveness
- Whole estate context and data for investment business cases
- Get more from your premises and improve utilisation, efficiency , quality and accessibility
We have delivered tailored estates strategies to support business planning and strategic investment. In the acute sector, this has included developing a Five Year Estates Strategy for a Community Trust to improve space utilisation across the healthcare estate and support agile working. In the primary care arena, we have worked with GPs and CCGs to provide strategic reviews of the primary care estate and ensure that accommodation requirements support the recommendations of the Five Year Forward View and changing service delivery models.
Produced to a depth and scale to suit the client, information in an estates review and strategy can include:
- Review of strategic and service aims to provide strategic context
- Description of the existing estate
- Evaluation of the existing estate: 6-Facet Survey
- Mapping estate including landlord and tenant information and service delivery points
- Mapping the wider local health estate
- Statutory regulations and quality standards
- Functional suitability
- Space utilisation
- Energy Management
- Service and estate rationalisation
- Estate workforce planning
- Costs of occupancy
- Key estate performance indicators
- Disposal valuations
- Redevelopment appraisals
When clients have an important choice to make about estate or premises, Prime can offer a complete picture to quickly evaluate options based on operational and financial considerations such as service disruption, movement of staff, cost and time and as well as accounting, funding, design and construction aspects.